Cinematic techniques can be summed up as the style of the film. This is about how the filmmaker has chosen to use music, light, sound, editing and images to tell the story.
The use of music in film is a good exemple. Films with serious or frightening themes more often use dark images and a different type of music than what you find in comedies or dramas. Just think of how the use of scary music in horror films can create suspense.
- Describe the way music, movement and light/ darkness are used in Sámi Bojá.
- How do you think the use of these cinematic techniques affects your experience of the film?
A character is a person, or another being, in a film. The traits of the character become visible through choices, actions and through the way the character reacts when encountering problems.
We can distinguish between the character's outer and inner character traits. Outer traits are about what we can observe from watching the film. Such as what the person looks like, the hairstyle and clothing etc. Inner character traits are expressed through what the character does and says. This tells us something about the characters personality and goals. We often have to analyse the character’s behavior in order to say something about the inner character traits.
- Describe Mikkel's inner and outer character traits.
- What impression do you get of Mikkel?
- How do you think Mikkel's life will turn out?
- If you had a chance to ask Mikkel a question, what would it be?
- We also meet reindeers and a dog in the film. What do you think is the most challenging aspect of working with animals on a film set?
The film experience
Write a short text about:
- how you liked the film.
- what emotions the film experience gave you.
- what you learned from watching the film.