Elle Sofe Sara
Elle Sofe Sara (1984) is a choreographer and director from Kautokeino, Norway. She is known for her unique style within film and dance. Her films can be seen as comments on various aspects of Sami culture and tradition.
She started making films while still in middle school, where she discovered that the medium of film was a powerful and effective way to tell a story. The way images, sound and movement help giving the audience a good experience, fascinated her.
Elle Sofe continued making films and eventually it became her profession. She graduated with a master’s degree in choreography from Oslo National Academy of the Arts in 2010. She also studied Dance at the Laban School in London.
What is so fascinating about film is that you can get so close to someone, and see places, cultures and people in a completely different way than you can in real life (Elle Sofe Sara, 2020).
- Giitu giitu/ Thank you Lord (2019)
- Ribadit/ Pulling in the Belt (2019)
- Sámi Bojá (2015)
- Juoigangiehta/ The Yoiking Hand (2011)
- Biegga savkala duoddara duohken lea soames / The wind whispers there is someone behind the tundra (2007)
Elle Sofe Saras favourite films
- Parasite (2019)
- The Body Remembers When The World Broke Open (2019)
- House of the Flying Daggers (2004)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- Dancer in the Dark (2000)